Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Start a Discussion
Highlighted
We_Got_Tickets
Conductor

StubHub Artificially Lowering Prices On Certain Listings/Events

StubHub is artificially lowering prices on certain listings/events or discounting tickets and making up for it on the back end in added buyers fees like other ticket exchanges.
I think you guys need to do a much better job at communicating this to sellers or do away with it!
It's killing the market because a lot of people aren't aware that you're doing this and it's causing them to lower their prices even lower than what the actual prices are when they are price checking existing listings! And then when people are creating new listings it's also causing them to price their tickets lower than the actual going rate!
When people price match the "get in" price, which is artificial and not the actual number to match, the new"get in" price becomes several dollars cheaper since they price matched an artificially lowered number and then on top of that their prices gets artificially lowered dropping prices even lower!
Then the next person does it, so on, and so forth... completely ruining markets!
6 Comments
testing123
Umpire

Re: StubHub Artificially Lowering Prices On Certain Listings/Events

How does SH lower the prices on tickets when the end users are the ones pricing them? Trying to understand an example of this.

We_Got_Tickets
Conductor

For example; you price your tickets at $150, but when you go to the listing you'll see that your tickets actually show up to buyers for $145.
People that aren't aware of this recent change and price match get in prices, will set their price at $145 vs the actual $150 price, their $145 listing also gets manipulated by StubHub and now, instead of that person holding the line on the get in price it gets lowered to $140, next person comes along and unknowingly makes the same mistake, and the next, etc. tanking markets.
StubHub still pays you out according to the price you set not the price they show, I'm sure they make it up in higher buyer fees in cases where they show lower pricing, if you're familiar with VividSeats they do the same thing except they actually do a good job at communicating this up front to the seller's so they don't misprice.
If you have alot of listings I'm sure if you go through and compare your price to price shown you'll come across some of these... Thankfully they aren't doing it on all listings and crashing everything! but I've come across a number of listings that have it implemented.
testing123
Umpire

Ok, I understand. Yes, it is frustrating when I price items and then go to look at the outward facing listings that the price is different. There should be a breakdown showing what buyers see/pay. The only reason I can think it is like this is because StubHub prefers to obfuscate the fees and commissions it is charging until after the buyer commits. This is similar to what Ticketmaster does with their "conveneince fees" Smiley LOL Maybe that means it's convenient for TM that I'm the one buying the tickets and then providing my own methods for the ticket production (PDF, printing) and completing the sale??

Moderator Moderator

We really appreciate this feedback as we agree that notifying our sellers about this would be a good idea to avoid any issues with their listings. I'll be sure to pass this along and please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

usahockey80
Pit Crew

I recommend that StubHub Should notify seller of each listing that is affected.  Stubhub should send out emails to sellers  and put in a PRICE IT SHOWS UP ON THE LISTING tool on the active listing page so we can easily price the tickets accordingly. I use my own tool of looking at the price that I want and multiply it by 1.05 to get a close enough price that I want to actually list it at. Most sellers are not doing this or aware of this pricing discount on the website and therefore prices are being artificially lowered by a significant amount of 5%, potentially multiple times. I know this is currently going on with the NY Yankees and US Open tennis and NYCFC.

Nittany331
Backup Singer

Yes, I agree with this! I was very frustrated to just see that my tickets are listed to buyers at a lower price than I listed them. I had priced my tickets to be in line with the lowest priced comparable tickets and now, because of what StubHub did, they are listed about 5% lower than that. It is not hard to see how there will be a snowball effect when other sellers go to price tickets the same way. StubHub needs yo do a much better job communicating what they’re doing!!!!!!!