cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New User

why is the recommended price so low?

I'm selling a ticket to a very popular artist's stadium show - field seat, 6th row, left of center but still in front of the stage.  The general sale isn't sold out, but has done very well - only scattered upper level seats are left through the original sale site.  I paid $115.50 + fees for this seat, but StubHub is recommending I sell for only $69, and that's before they take their fee out!

When I look at comparable seats on StubHub, none are asking that low.  So why the ridiculously low price recommendation?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: why is the recommended price so low?

Hey, k_serasera! 

The recommended price that you see when listing your tickets should be based on the current price of the section/event. We'll look into that further. As it is only a recommended price though, you still can set it for however much you'd like. We have no limit on the price you set! Thanks for letting us know!

Rob
Rookie

Based on newly listed tickets, the Recommended price slider control (after your ticket is listed) and also the recommended price when listing a ticket is recommended a price for immediate sale of the ticket even if the event is months away.  This is for events that have multiple seating options.  The Recommended Price does not appear to take into account highly desirable tickets.  Sellers end up likely unknowingly setting the price for a desirable seat far below market value.  In certain cases the ticket is set to the lowest price available in a particular section and thus undercutting the true market value.  The recommended price appears to be a simple calculation based on the price off all tickets listed for an event that does not take into account a designated stubhub seating section the ticket is listed.  Blunt instrument that is hurting stubhub and ticket sellers.  Really frustrating nd may need to re-evaluate listing tickets with stubhub with such inaccurate recommended pricing guidance. 

- An unhappy stubhub customer

Stubber

Hello @Rob, and apologies for any frustration!  We do appreciate your feedback, and we'll have to have this looked at further!  

Rookie

I also feel like I just got burned by the recommended price.

It was not at all close to what was listed in the sections around my seats.

Feel very cheated. I thought I could count on your data analytics, but apparently not!

Apologies for any trouble, @katameyer.  These tools are based on general data which includes current selling prices as well as recent sales data.  The price that is recommended are intended to help you sell the ticket quickly.  This is only a recommendation, though, and as a seller, you can always choose to set the price higher or lower depending on what you would like to make on the ticket.

Rookie

I have a similar concern. I just listed a pair of tickets to Paul McCartney, Row 3 on the Floor, in the center sections and Stubhub's 'recommended price' is $157! There isn't a seat in the first 10 rows under 900 dollars so selling them for 157 a piece seems like an unwise recommendation to give a seller. I'm definitely not impressed. I understand these are only suggestions but they're still terrible suggestions.

As well, I notice when sorting the seating section using the 'best value' filter, I find pair of tickets in row 11 selling for $471 per ticket that's given 2 bars for 'best value' and a pair of tickets iin the same section in row 17 selling for $664 each and given the same 'value' rating of two bars.

These tools StubHub offers seem to be blunt instruments at best and not very reliable or valuable.

We really appreciate this feedback @Will_Kahl as we want to know what features our customers are happy and unhappy with. @benz818 is correct about the suggestion feature, it is just a ballpark suggestion to help you list competitively with other listings on site but you can always feel free to list higher or lower than the suggestion. And the best value feature you see is based on historical data so all of the information for specific seats that have sold for that particular event or venue are formulated into algorithms. If you have any further questions, please feel free to private message me or any of our other Community Moderators and we'll be happy to help!

Backup Singer

I made the same complaint last year and they have done nothing about it. Because they don't want to.

Umpire

The pricing tool is something to give a rough ballpark figure for a quick sale. My experience with it is:
it usually is not on point, and therefore I avoid using its recommendation.