Start a Discussion
deuce1307
New User

Re: The StubHub Community is here!!

My MLB went from 10% to 13%.
mcrossdc
Zamboni Driver

Re: Seller fees increased to 13% from 10%

I noticed they raised the fees to 13% on my account.  My wife also has an account and her fee has remained at 10%.  I have started selling with TicketNetwork, their fees are only 9.4%.  It may not sound like much of a difference but when you sell hundreds of tickets it can add up.  It would have been nice if StubHub notified the sellers of this change.  It makes it appear like they are trying to slip this change in.

ctierno
Stagehand

I too just discovered that my sellers fees suddenly increased from 10% to 13%.  Seems like old listings are still charging only 10% and any new listings are charging the 13%.  Obviously I don't like the increase but what is more troubling to me is the complete lack of communication and transparency by Stubhub.  It just happened.  No "heads up".  Nothing. 

No question they have the best portal for this business but it seems like they take advantage of that fact and give no regard to treating their seller community as a customer.  Very disappointed.  

Highlighted
hillkill
Umpire

Its just more of a squeeze on the sellers. Stubhub has regressed so much over the years and tickets are not selling unless you are basically giving them away, now higher fees on top of that? Stubhub doesn't realize that at some point, sellers will just stop selling on here. First, you now allow everyone to sell on here, including teams, venues, promoters and every average person. Before you had to be approved to sell mobile tickets, now any average person can. They do not understand exactly how to do it, errors ensue and buyers are left unhappy. Its almost became like a flea market on here. The over saturation from allowing everyone to sell, mixed with a decline in buyers is driving down sales at an alarming rate

Secondly, buyers just wait til the last minute to buy now. So now we have 1000 tickets left 6 hours before the event and they are hitting $6.00 in no time as buyers have no urgency to purchase. Its just not what it used to be and raising fees, squeezing more money from an already shrinking sale, and having to spend hours monitoring your price, is in my opinion not a long range plan for success. 

I like(d) Stubhub, but with every change comes more of a burden on sellers. Stubhub should learn from their parent company Ebay. For years they kept raising fees, sellers complained, boycotted, etc and the changes just kept coming. Now Ebay is a shell of what it used to be. People will only take so much and someone like Amazon is always ready to fill the void. 

snydwalker76
Team Mascot

I've been selling with StubHub for over 9 years now. Thousands of sales. I've always been extremely disappointed with the way StubHub treated me as a seller vs as a buyer, which is so confusing since the business model depends on sellers providing the product that drives StubHub's business model. Despite all this, however, I've stuck with StubHub because of familiarity and it's relative (yet shrinking) dominance in the marketplace. 

However, this change really is the last straw. Not just for the change itself, but for the UTTER LACK OF TRANSPARENCY AND COMMUNICATION regarding the change. On top of that, the scripted answers we are getting by the moderators here, and via customer service, make it infinitely worse. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to what sale gets charged what percentage, and I have yet to find anyone who will give me some semblance of a logical answer. 

MaryHill...you started your response by stating "I wanted to bring some clarity to this thread." You brought absolutely ZERO clarity to the policy itself. You stated a very obvious fact...StubHub operates in an open marketplace. But you know who else operates in an open marketplace? Your sellers. Real people who depend on the mutually-beneficail partnership they have with StubHub for at least part, if not all, of their livelihood. So if a change needs to be made to our seller fees, then is it unreasonable to ask StubHub to be forthcoming about how, exactly, that change works? I should not have to go ALL THE WAY through the process of listing the tickets to learn, at the very end of that process, what my fee is going to be...do you realize how much time that takes? Again...the 30% increase in seller fees is bad enough. But it might even be semi-acceptable if the parameters are clear, and I am just absolutely stumped as to why StubHub is refusing to be transparent about how this change works. 

SO...with all that said...please clearly answer the following:

1) What is the formula StubHub uses to determine the percentage they are going to take for each sale. If it is going to be "variable," then so be it...but how can we as sellers know the fee BEFORE we list (which is the absolute barest-minimum of transparency that should be expected)?

2) I've always wanted to ask this, and this provides the perfect opportunity to do so: Why has StubHub never come up with any type of merit-based program for sellers that have made multiple sales on Stubhub proven themselves to be trustworthy? If StubHub's goal is to, using your own words, " create a safe, healthy and secure global marketplace where you can buy and sell tickets to your favorite events," then wouldn't it make sense to create a system that would REWARD that kind of performance and "loyalty?" It seems logical that StubHub would WANT to retain those types of sellers, so it's always blown me away that there is not some type of incentive for actually being that type of seller (like something as simple as reduced, or even static, seller fees). So I'd love an explanation on this as well. 

Thank you

JImJez
Zamboni Driver

What ?!?

ctierno
Stagehand

snydwalker76 nailed it.  Transparency and communication.  I get it that stubhub might want to change the game (fee structure) based on their business purposes/strategy.  However all I ask for is a clear understanding of that business strategy and how it impacts me as a high volume seller.  Just tell me.  Then I can make an informed decision on what to do next.  By not telling me......well maybe you just don't respect me and my business.  It feels sneaky and disrespectful.  

btw.....as far as I can tell the fee change only seems to impact my new listings.  Not listings that were posted before the change even if they have not sold yet.  But maybe I shouldn't reveal that.....lol.....the stubhub gods might change that too.  Oh well too late.  I'm just being transparent.  Imagine that.

macd101
Zamboni Driver

The only thing that is keeping me in the game is my Capital One Savor card that gives me 4% Cash Back on concert tickets.  I hate to think I make as much with my Cash Back awards as I do with selling the tickets.  

nzqtvy
Stagehand

Re: Selling Fees

This isn't true!!  It has nothing to do with the event or venue.  I have listings to the same event and StubHub is showing different sell fees for the same tickets.  I sold 2 tickets to a college football game yesterday and was charged a 10% fee even though they were listed at 8% and the 2 tickets directly next to the tickets that sold are still in my account for sale at 8%.  This is unacceptable!!

nzqtvy
Stagehand

The problem is the sale fee can, and will, change when you sell the tickets.  So, even if you are showing that the sell fee for tickets listed should be a certain percentage, StubHub can and will change the sell fee when the tickets sell.  I sold 2 tickets yesterday to a college football game for 10% sell fee.  They were listed at, and showing at, 8% in my account prior to selling.  I still have 2 tickets located directly next to the tickets that sold that are left for sale in my account and they are showing 8% but I was still charged 10% for the 2 that sold.

So, if you mark up your tickets to account for a 13% sell fee they may still charge you a 17% fee (or some other arbitrary number) when they sell and they don't have to justify any of it.