cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rookie

has anyone noticed Stubhub is now allowing SPEC listings?

recently I noticed events I was selling seats I bought ..... were not selling well.   After looking into it..... I found brokers have been allowed to list tickets with a computer program.... which mimics tiketmaster tickets that are still listed and are still for sale.... but just for a much higher price.

I first notice it when I bought tickets for Mean Girls.  We decided not to go but after buying 4 front row seats....from tiketmaster.... but stubhub had 4 front row seats listed too.   Much higher in price.   After I bought them, the seats vanished off Stubhub.

No these were not tiketmaster Resell.   These were BLUE DOTTED on tiketmaster.

Take a look at say Mean Girls in NY on December 5.   On tiketmaster between rows F and L  (6 rows) - tiketmaster is missing 34 seats.....  Then check Stubhub....  Stubhub is listing 76 seats.  How?   (a seller cannot list tickets that they do not own?  Yet they can give you row G if you bought row K.    (they can upgrade you 5 rows - but not in the first 5 rows)   If Ticketmaster is selling them still.  How are they listed on Ticketmaster and Stubhub?

Case in point.... the other night.... I purchased tickets to a show.  I bought 4 tickets on stubhub that were 3rd row.   Then I saw the same section and row on tiketmaster.   So I bought them.   The Stubhub order did not go thru.  first Stubhub said it would be 15-20 minutes before they would upload my seats.   The show was now sold out on every broker site but tiketmaster had tickets in the 30th row.    So hours later.... I keep calling and Stubhub says we will cancel the order and refund you.    (the broker could not fill the order because I already had the tickets)   Then the broker calls in and offers a discount and umm  get this..... ROW 17... which are box seats in the back.   (guess what.... you can still buy the exact ones they are offering.... on where?  tiketmaster)   

Another mathmatical anomoly.   I saw a show....  14 single seats on tiketmaster....  guess what.... Stubhub had single seats too... the exact section and row in each case.   (can you do the math?   I think to have 14 single seats over 14 rows... in the exact section has to be 15 million to 1.   

Pick any Penn and Teller show....  vegas....  stubhub lists the exact inventory as tiketmaster (wholesale blue dots, not red circled resale)

Pick any Mean girls show... like on a wednesday.   

here Penn and Teller, Dec 24    Stubhub lists AMP 1 row A   2 tickets.   (there are 5 tickets on the row.... I know...I sat there Thursday)   Wait.... on tiketmaster AMP 1 row A shows .... ALL FIVE seats have not sold.  BLUE DOTS.   The seller does not own these.   They have not sold.   They are BLUE.   On stubhub you pay $200   $251 after fees.  tiketmaster lists them for $95 plus fees.   

Go look at Penn and Teller....   Let me see...  Jan 1....  slow sales.   In Orchestra 3.... in the first 9 rows.... how many tickets have been sold?   9.   Yes 9.   Now let me go see what is listed on Stubhub.   Same section.... 

Main floor 3 row G  (6 tickets)   Main floor 3 row P (6 tickets but this is a handicap row but the seller didn't realize that I guess).    Main floor 3 row row E... 2 tickets.   Main floor 3 row G  4 tickets.   Main floor 3 row F 3 tickets.

so how can they list 15 tickets....on stubhub.... when only 9 have been sold   (rows go from row D to row M and again.... 9 seats have been sold.... yet 15 seats are listed on stubhub for sale)

Then look at MAIN FLOOR 1.   6 seats have sold.   a 4 and a 2    not together.   Row D (2) and row F (4) but stubhub listed a 6 pack in Main Floor 1 row G.   (how???   no six pack groups have been sold N.   (oh but 6 seats are listed in row M also which again NOBODY has bought these)   so 12 seats listed.... and only 4 and 2 have been sold.

I guess Stubhub is now allowing spec listing..... or someone's has looked the other way on this matter.   I call and stubhub says "SPEC LISTINGS are not allowed"   Some staff understand.  Some make excuses  (maybe they source the seats elsewhere?   Maybe they are listed on multiple sites?   Maybe  etc)    Not the brightest investigation .... as THESE ARE LISTED ON tiketmaster wholesale.   NOT tiketmaster Resale.   

Please fellow community members..... look at some shows.  Do the Math....  it is impossible.   Trust and Safety I guess needs some training on how to investigate these SPEC listings.  

(oh when they could not fill my order... I was offered my money back... because the fan protect guarantee.   - That is also called... I USED MY CREDIT CARD.... so of course I get my money back)     

(yes I spelled the name of the company so this would hopefully post)

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Quarterback

Re: has anyone noticed Stubhub is now allowing SPEC listings?

You do realize that many venues, promoters, artists, teams (and on and on and on) list tickets for sale (shh, don't tell anyone, everyone will deny it) on StubHub and other sites? That's why so many shows have entire rows missing while other rows below and above are still available on Ticketmaster. This has been going on for many years now. But don't talk about it...🤣

Highlighted
Rookie

But this is different. Maybe you did not follow along. tickeaster has the exact sections and rows. So what someone did was buy a program that simply takes ticketmaster listings on tickets that have not been sold yet and lists them for a 70-200% mark up. If the consume (stubhub customer) is loyal to stubhub - they get jacked up and pay say $800 each for seats you can still purchase at ticketmaster. Again i just chose 2 shows i had purchased tickets to see. I don’t know how their inventory suddenly grew from say $10 million to $200 million? Oh wait. Yes i do. They dont have the inventory
Highlighted
Quarterback

I know exactly what you're saying and I also know how the system works. Just Google all of the stories over the years of teams, promoters, artists, etc. that admitted or were outed for selling primary tickets on StubHub. It still goes on today. When you control the inventory, you can sell what you want on whatever sites you want.

Highlighted

Hey there @tickets2018, I certainly understand the frustrations around this as we never want listings up that violate our User Agreement. I'll send you a PM to get some examples from you as we are always happy to investigate any speculative listings to see if we can get them removed. 

Highlighted
Rookie

Also. I cant really send links from my phone. But this is not rocket science. When u see 5 tickets in row 3 and there are only 5 seats in that row - how can they list a pair for sale? They are not allowed to mask seats in first 5 rows - also i bought tickets like this. They didnt fill my order. Because it was a spec listing. I bought the seats on ticketmaster. Then on stubhub to prove my point. The seller is no way listing 200 seats for mean girls on dec 5 a thursday. Nobody is buying them. Look for urself
Highlighted
Quarterback

When the venue or promoter silently lists them they will and often do list them on multiple platforms at the same time (same section, row, etc.). No marketplace will admit to it, but it's been happening for many years. I'm certainly not saying that is always the case, but it happens a lot more than you'd think it does. When you control the inventory, you can control how it is broadcasted and to who you broadcast it to. There are also many error codes that pop up on Ticketmaster when you try to buy tickets that appear to be available according to the interactive seating charts. Now I'm not privy to those error codes or what exactly they mean but IMO many of the codes are related to holds being placed on the tickets.

Highlighted
Rookie

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/mean-girls-ny/event/300054D592CF1EAB?refArtist=K8vZ917p3S0

orch center front row.... notice there are 6 seats dead center.... but 4 and 4 are missing.... so maybe there will be 4 on the market?

nope...

https://www.stubhub.com/mean-girls-new-york-tickets-mean-girls-new-york-new-york-august-wilson-theat...

there are 6 in a row listed.... how can they have 6 when 6 in a row have not been sold?  

this is a BOT listing tickets on ticketmaster onto stubhub.  if they can't figure this out.... umm.... they are not too bright

Highlighted
Rookie

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/mean-girls-ny/event/30005681D9241957?refArtist=K8vZ917p3S0

so 14 seats.... in rows A, B and C     - NONE have sold.

but again on stubhub....

but look - front rows Row A center listed on Stubhub.

https://www.stubhub.com/mean-girls-new-york-tickets-mean-girls-new-york-new-york-august-wilson-theat...

Highlighted
Agn
Rookie

I have called about the same issue and its not something that Stubhub is going to do anything about.  Some reps will take the information, but the problem continues.  In one instance, I spent over an hour on the phone with a supervisor who finally just said yes they do allow it.  

He kept trying to say they were different seats, but the one listed were my seats.  In my case, somebody had listed seats that I had for resale on TM.  With him on the phone, I changed the price of my TM listing twice for $5 at a time, and within a minute or so, the Stubhub listing also changed by a similar amount.  

I have just realized that you can't win every battle.