cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stagehand

Coachella 2020 Cancelled

Good day.

I am starting to get annoyed at this entire process. I am not understanding the difficulties for one to receive a refund that they have 100% the right to.

We understand Coachella 2020 has been officially cancelled. However, the wording and messaging that is being used is that tickets for 2020 will be honored for 2021 event -or- an email from StubHub stating that the event has now been rescheduled for 2021. Based on that logic, an event that takes place once a year could very well be rescheduled for subsequent years to come. Then that means Stubhub can continue to hold an individual's money for however long (interest free, might i add) until the event will finally take place. And because of the wording, one cannot receive a refund but rather have an option to resell the tickets and receive no fees charge for that trtansaction. Well, what about the fees that one had to pay to purchase the tickets. How is that recovered by the individual? 

I truly wish that Stubhub, a multi-BILLION dollar company, would do right by its customers and honor their individual requests for refunds. I believe you stand to loose a great deal more (capital and more importantly reputation) than just monies lost due to COVID. 

I have read that many stated that they will no longer use their services going forward. I am leaning towards that very same assumption as well given the lack of consideration for ones situation.

Sorry for this message being very long. However, i think it was warranted to convey thoughts that others are also expressing.

In the end, we would like the choice to have a refund for an event that is no longer taking place.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Stagehand

Re: Coachella 2020 Cancelled

Hi Sammy, 

I am on the same boat and totally annoyed with Stubhub. It is ridiculous how they are not letting buyers and sellers get out of whatever transaction they made. Coachelle 2020 has been CANCELLED! The fact that they are honoring the tickets in 2021 should not allow Stubhub to keep us stuck to our sales or purchases. Coachella 2020 was not postoned to 2021. Coachella 2021 is a whole new event. I have used Stubhub so much in the past and the fact that they are being so horrible with this situation has just made me swear that never again will I use this platform. 

Highlighted
Stagehand

Same, this is a joke. Long time seller, but this is horrible. What about the people that completed the sale with 2020 bands that are now void?? Nothing even mentioned about that. Again, all 2020 wristbands are void per the Official Coachella website.

Highlighted
Rookie

This is completely insane.  I will never use Stubhub again.  

Highlighted
Stagehand

Totally agreed. I am stuck in the same position. How can they say that Coachella 2020 will be postponed when it will be in 2021?? 

Highlighted
Stagehand

I am furious at this. I understand it was not their fault, but it’s also not ours, so why is it that they get to keep our buyers fees and still make money off of us when there is no event this year? This lack of empathy amid the pandemic and callous displacement of action on the consumer is atrocious. I called StubHub and all they could do for me was waive the sellers fees for me past September 1st. It’s very disappointing to see them treating paying customers like this and this constant runaround just to continue making money off of a cancelled event. I will not be using Stubhub anymore.
Highlighted
Team Mascot

Stubhub should refund Coachella tickets

I purchased a Coachella 2020 ticket and the event was postponed to October 2020. Now it has been cancelled. Coachella 2021 is a DIFFERENT event. Coachella is refunding 2020 ticketholders so why won't Stubhub offer the same courtesy? 

If you search for news on Coachella 2020, the status says "Cancelled". Stubhub is using a loophole to phrase this event as "postponed" so that they don't have to refund tickets. Shame on you, Stubhub. These tickets cost people an arm and a leg and your processing fees are through the roof. I can't make it to this event because my sister's wedding (which had to be moved due to covid) is now on that weekend. 

If I buy a ticket to a concert expecting to see a certain artist and it gets cancelled but there is another concert for a different artist next year that I can use the original ticket at that's not "postponed" its a different event and it's not the event I paid for. Please let me know what the next steps are for getting that refund.

Highlighted
Stagehand

Re: Stubhub should refund Coachella tickets

Same problem with Stagecoach. Stubhub insists that it is postponed miraculously to coincide with Stagecoach 2021. No refund. Also, my posts about this get deleted each time, I am certainly not the only person in this situation. The Stagecoach website says that the current wristbands are void....Hmmm, for a postponed show the wristbands are void? What a joke.....and the joke is on any and all Stubhub clients.

Highlighted
Pit Crew

From Coachella website:

All 2020 passes will be honored in 2021. Current pass holders will be sent an email by the end of the day on Monday, June 15 with further instructions to request a refund or to roll over to next year.

They (Coachella/Goldenvoice) cracked the door open just enough to clear Stubhub from any liability. If Coachella would have just said “Ok Coachella is canceled and here’s your refund. See you next year” then Stubhub wouldn’t have a thing to say and everyone would have their money back. Everyone is kind of barking up the wrong tree here. If there was a mutual agreement between the buyer/seller to cancel the sale then most of this could be resolved but that would take a ton of work so that won’t happen.
Highlighted
Stagehand

@Nito23 That's an interesting interpretation, but it is not true. Coachella's press release doesn't determine whether a cancellation is effected, factual considerations do. To explain: StubHub's User Agreement governs how refunds are issued, and StubHub's User Agreement is in turned governed by and construed in accordance with California law. Given this, general CA contract principles between Buyers, Sellers, and Service Providers, with regard to ticketing events apply. If an event is changed in such a way that it is no longer substantially similar to the event originally advertised, and a Service Provider facilitating resale through the Seller would reasonably foresee that a reasonable Buyer purchasinh tickets to the event originally advertised would have not purchased tickets for the new event, unless the Service Provider expressly disclaimed otherwise beforehand, the contract between the Buyer and Seller via the Service Provider would be voided/cancelled (given there would never have been a meeting of the minds), and the Seller or Service Provider would be obligated to refund the Buyer.

(Coachella 2020 will now be Coachella 2021, and may have entirely different artists. This demonstrates that the event is not substantially similar to the event as advertised. Given that Coachella 2021 was actually being planned before Coachella 2020 was formally "postponed" until 2021, there is also sufficient evidence to conclude that Coachella 2021 is completely distinct, let alone dissimilar.)