cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtmar6
Stagehand

How does StubHub protect the seller?

I have a question regarding Stub Hub's policy on protecting the seller. I sold my Taylor Swift club tickets for half the price that they were being sold on StubHub for that particular section in hopes that a fan who could not purchase tickets via the pre-sale and general admission may purchase them.

They were immediately purchased. After I agreed with the transfer, I had a bad feeling that the buyer was not a fan attempting to go to the concert, but someone who wanted to re-sell my tickets for a higher price. It is no secret that many non-fans are taking advantage of the tour's sales. While this isn't entirely ill-intent, what is stopping this person from saying that they cannot get into the venue by taking a screenshot of the tickets and giving it to someone else while using the transferred tickets to attempt to get in via the Seat Geek app? Or, saying that I sold them the tickets after taking a screenshot of the tickets to give to someone else?

I also noticed that the buyer listed their birthday at 01/01/2001. While this could be true, it made me super anxious about the whole transaction. I want to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt, but can you please describe what would happen in a situation where a buyer would attempt to claim that the tickets were no good? And what happens if StubHub ultimately sides with the buyer?

Thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
Melpik
Legend

Re: How does StubHub protect the seller?

Hi @mtmar6 

Stubhub recently added the birthday line and it is 01/01/2001 for everyone so you should not worry about that.  In a few instances buyers will claim that that tickets were not good.  In cases like that you would have to try and get a scan report from venue (not very easy to do) or provide proof of how oyu obtained tickets.  In your situation I dont think it will be an issue.  The buyer was either a fan and will be more than happy to attend or a reseller who flipped the tickets to someone happy to attend.

mtmar6
Stagehand

Thank you! I feel a little more relieved knowing that 01/01/2001 is the default for everyone. I definitely thought that was strange.

User56825
Backup Singer

I also sold my TS tickets for about half the price of the other listings on stubhub and they were immediately purchased. I definitely think that person is trying to resell my tickets for even more money. I’m worried that they won’t be able to sell their tickets because of the ridiculous price and somehow it’ll be my fault and I’ll lose my money
mtmar6
Stagehand

This is also my fear. I can see the Buyer stating that my tickets were fraudulant after attempting and failing to re-sell the tickets for double the price that I listed them for to get their money back. In which case, it is not fair for the Seller to lead the investigation by contacting the venue and requesting scan reports in hopes that is enough evidence for StubHub to take your side.

Bob
Olympian

Right? It should be the BUYER who has to provide the scan report to prove that they were denied entry. But StubHub policies tend to favor the buyer because that is where the money comes from in this system of ticket re-sales.

Bob
Olympian

You can't control who buys your tickets on StubHub and they are free to re-sell them if they choose. If you sell them well below market price, you are inviting a re-seller to buy them and re-sell them. That's high school economics: buy low, sell high.

matti58
Jockey

I've sold hundreds of tickets on Stubhub and only once did the buyer try to scam me by saying they couldn't get into the venue with the tickets they bought.  Luckily, I was able to get a scan report from the venue showing that the buyer was lying.  I understand that getting a scan report can be tricky; if you are ever required to do so, don't tell them you sold the tickets on Stubhub as they might be less likely to work with you on resolving the issue.

Good luck!

asusmith
Rookie

how would you recommend speaking with venues then if the issue arises?

Melpik
Legend

Hi @asusmith 

You can try calling the venue but I dont think you will have much succcess.  Your best bet is to go to the venue box office and talk to one of the sales reps or the manager.

Community Log-In Changes May 1st
We are changing the way you register and sign-in to the StubHub Community. After the switch, you will enter the email address you use to access the community in order to reset your password. You will enter your community username and new password and done!

Read about the changes here