cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stagehand

Is it getting too risky to sell tickets due to non-transferability of tickets?

Hello.  

I've been selling on SH for a few years and, knock on wood, have yet to have a problem getting tickets to the buyers.  However, I'm reading more and more situations where transferability of mobile tickets is becoming challenging.  Is it reasonable to think that it will get even more difficult to transfer tickets in the future, thus making buying tickets for resale a risky venture?  Or am I way off base?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Quarterback

Re: Is it getting too risky to sell tickets due to non-transferability of tickets?

No, you are correct in feeling this way. I've had to change my business dramatically since April when Ticketmaster started changing many events to mobile only and removing the ability to transfer tickets. If all mobile tickets were transferable, it would eliminate 99% of all fraudulent tickets. However, if Ticketmaster eliminated transferable tickets then they have 100% control over the primary and secondary markets. This makes them a bigger monopoly than they already are. That is why senators have opened an inquiry from the DOJ on the TM/LN merger. It's really shocking how quickly Ticketmaster has made these changes.

Stagehand

Re: Is it getting too risky to sell tickets due to non-transferability of tickets?

Thanks.

I hate to pry, but what general business changes have you made since TM started making more and more tickets non-transferable?  I completely understand if you don't want to share.

Thanks for the great insight.

Quarterback

@matti58 I don't sell that many mobile only tickets any more which if you sell for a living you know that's probably 50-60% of all tickets on Ticketmaster now. I used to (still can if I wanted to) sell mostly mobile screenshots but when Ticketmaster started moving more venues to rotating/dynamic barcodes makes that a risky proposal any more. I don't want to sell a ticket and find out that Ticketmaster changed the ticket to a dynamic barcode (see the Black Keys fiasco last week at the Wiltern).The main problem is that Ticketmaster is not completely transparent and it doesn't tell you up front upon purchasing whether or not the ticket will be made transferable. That's a big risk when you sell a ticket with a delivery delay if you choose ticket transfer as the delivery method and then when the delay is finally released you find out the ticket cannot be resold and therefore, you are risking 40% or more as a cancellation charge if the buyer doesn't accept the delivery method change or risk a hefty penalty if the venue refuses to honor the screenshots. It's really started to become an absolute mess. I've read the forums on here and I see all the people who have complained over the past 6 months with similar problems. I would say my sales have dropped at least 30% the past 6 months and I expect that trend to continue to the point that I will need to seriously consider getting out of a business that I've been in 100% for the past 17 years.

Stagehand

I appreciate your candor.  This is really interesting.  I just buy and sell as a side gig but I'm thinking of getting out due to the aforementioned risks.  I feel bad for the folks that do this for a living.  

Thanks again.

Stagehand

Same - it's becoming increasingly difficult. 

And while the mod's on here are helpful, waiting an hour between DM's each time I need help is getting ridiculous. When I can find the chat feature or phone number (because it is NOT easily found), the people I reach cannot help nearly as much as the mods. Last time I had an issue delivering tickets, it took an entire day to get it resolved due to all the waiting in between and refreshing to look for new messages, etc. 

I'm not in this for business, I sometimes simply can't make a show I had intended on going to. 

Stagehand

I read this article today:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/touring/8530801/black-keys-ticketing-ticketmaster-safeti...

It states that "Ticketmaster plans to switch all tickets to the platform by the beginning of 2021."  If I'm reading this right, TM plans to make all tickets SafeTix by 2021; this is the rotating barcode technology, yes?  If so, that makes it very difficult to resell these tickets?

Thanks.

Quarterback

@matti58 Thanks for posting that article. I've preached time and time again this was coming but it's being implemented at a faster rate than I ever imaginged. It will be impossible to resell these tickets unless the ticket transfer option is available. The problem is that so many tickets are sold with delivery delay and the transfer option isn't always clear on whether or not it will be made available. Also, I feel Ticketmaster will not make this transparent (they said they will) and force people to sell on their secondary platforms only. I can see this severely affecting StubHub's sales and all other secondary marketplaces. That's probably one reason ebay is trying to sell off StubHub now as the value of the company will be significantly affected. It has already changed the industry a lot this year.