Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Start a Discussion
Highlighted
hillkill
Umpire

Newly implemented New York Ticket License Law Clarification

I'm having a hard time understanding this. Is this for resellers located in New York or anyone who sells event tickets with the venue being located in New York state, regardless of their actual location? This is going to be a game changer it seems. The license is 5000.00 dollars. Anyone care to clarify and/or discuss

18 Comments
ticketmvp
Jockey

Re: Newly implemented New York Ticket License Law Clarification

I guess I won't be selling New York events any more. I don't make close to $5,000 in profit a year selling events in New York. I don't understand why StubHub can't just license themselves thereby allowing resellers on the site to continue to sell. StubHub will lose millions from this law I would assume. Obviously, big resellers in New York will just bite the bullet and buy a license but all the small time sellers which add up to a lot of money over the course of the year will quit selling on StubHub.

macd101
Zamboni Driver

And trying to understand the legislation, it is effective as of January 1st. Does this mean my NY listings will disappear on that date?  I have a fair amount on NY inventory.  

Any clarification would be appreciated. 

hillkill
Umpire

Yes its unfortunately just another change. I can't continue to take the hits. This is not a Stubhub change, but this coupled with the changes on Stubhub that have dropped my annual sales by almost 1/3 are going to drive the nail in the coffin I believe. I often times find myself looking back at how efficient and easy this was just a few short years ago, now its a shell of that and probably time to move on.

ticketmvp
Jockey

Unfortunately, this is a constant adapt with the times. I have continued to evolve as the secondary ticketing industry evolves. You have to find niches. For me it takes an endless amount of time and research. As I get older, it definitely is harder to keep up at this pace. It's quite amazing to see how much it has changed in the past 5 years. I went on my own 8 years ago and while I've been more successful than I ever was working for any other ticket brokers, it's definitely getting harder to do. I would imagine in 5-10 years from now, StubHub may not exist and everyone will be forced to sell their tickets on Ticketmaster's secondary marketplace (or other primary markets) or not at all. 

Clutch21bh
Waterboy

New York Resale

Can someone explain the email that Stubhub recently sent out regarding the update for Ticket Resellers in New York State? I have season tickets to multiple teams and occassionally sell tickets to events that I cannot attend. I would not consider myself a broker but I do sell a fair amount of tickets in New York and want to know how this affects me.
RegalRoseton
Stagehand

Re: New York Resale

I'm also interested in knowing the specifics of this new rule. I sell tickets for events in New York from time to time and without a license. Beginning on January 1st will I have to show proof of a license if I'm trying to sell a pair of NY concert tickets? 

Brace
Coach

just bumping this so the mods can see this, if they have no already.

Can you plese answer the OP's question. I know sometimes, there are things that Mods cant answer (questions regarding taxes)

but this is somthing that is pretty important and is going to kill SH's business. 

hillkill
Umpire

No clarification? Anyone want to try and decipher?

Moderator Moderator

Hi! Below is the official information we have been provided in regards to the new law!

If you are a licensed ticket broker in the State of New York:

StubHub will host an aggregated list of broker license numbers on our site to ensure you have the ability to comply with the new law.  In accordance with the law, only license numbers will be listed publicly. There will not be any additional company information listed or hyperlinks provided.

New York-licensed brokers should enter their license number on StubHub under Settings > License as soon as possible in order to be included in the aggregated list of license numbers posted on our site. Please note: This website change will be available in the coming days. We will be circulating an email once it's available

The list of broker license numbers will be available on our Help Center beginning on January 1, 2019.

If you are not a licensed Ticket Reseller in the State of New York:

No action is required.

If you are unsure whether or not you need to obtain a broker license number:

Please note, the law governing who needs to be registered as a broker in New York has not changed.

If you have any questions on who needs to register as a broker in New York, please visit the NY Division of Licensing Services or consult legal counsel.

Additional Q&A's:

Q: Is this for resellers located in New York or anyone who sells event tickets with the venue being located in New York state, regardless of their actual location?

A: Only Brokers who sell events taking place in New York need to provide to SH their NY Brokers Reseller License Number.  The Brokers physical location may be anywhere, but if they are selling events in New York, NY is requiring that they provide their NY Reseller License Number.

Q: Once the legislation comes in effect on January 1st 2019, will my NY listings disappear if I haven't provided my NY Broker license number?

A: There will be no impact to listings.