cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rookie

Please forgive the stupid question – first time selling tickets on stub hub

I was lucky enough to have the tickets that I posted sell right away and I’ve already been paid. The event is not until next week, so I’m wondering what happens if the person just doesn’t go and try to get their money back? Or what happens if they lie and say the tickets didn’t work? I know they are valid tickets and I know I sent them to StubHub in a proper manner. But what’s to stop the recipient from trying to get their money back even though the tickets are valid. I Transferred the money PayPal to my bank account but I’m scared to spend it.
7 REPLIES 7
Coach

Re: Please forgive the stupid question – first time selling tickets on stub hub

@Rad123   Good Evening, fellow seller here. Not a Mod...but I can give you an answer from a sellers point of view.

I've been selling for 10 years and only had this come up a few times.  But here is what happens.

You will get alerted if there is an issue with your tickets.  You will have to provide a scan report, that you get from the venue to prove they were scanned into the venue.  TIP: When getting a scan report, do not say it was for a stubhub transaction.

Stubhub will review it and see if they were scanned into the venue or look for a double scan.

If you lose the case, you can be penalitized the ticket cost, plus %40.

This is not an everyday occurance and should not stop you from selling on stubhub.

I would though reccomend, using the transfer option from AXS/Ticketmaster to the seller directly.  This can avoid any of the above issues since they are now in the buyers account and no longer the sellers. 

smc
Zamboni Driver

How do you convince the venues to provide the scan report? Do you generally contact the venue by phone or email? I'm interested in successful approach tactics.

I've always gotten the runaround (we don't provide them to the public, did you stop by the ticket office when they wouldn't scan, blah blah blah). I usually contact them telling them one of our group couldn't get in with their ticket (like you said, don't want to indicate it was a reselling situation), but they've often brought resellers up anyway, like their radar is up. 

Like you said, it is pretty rare, but annoying when it does happen and you have to eat the penalty (plus your ticket cost and lost profit) when you can't provide the proof that the tickets were good. 

Rookie

@smc this happened to you before as well? I am so regretting I sold the tickets this way. I bought them from the theaters website and got them as PDFs in an email. Because I didn’t buy them at Ticketmaster – there was no ticket master option for this venue – I only had the PDF the theater sent me that I uploaded to StubHub. They were snapped up pretty quickly which on one hand is a great on the other hand I’m wondering why they were purchased so quickly. Now I’m more worried that someone’s going to try to scam me – how can I prove the tickets were valid? I get I will have to call the venue and as you mentioned, say that one of our members couldn’t get in with the tickets if that happens, but how do I prove to StubHub the tickets are valid in the first place.

smc
Zamboni Driver

@Rad123, as @Brace mentioned, its very rare, over the last 8 years (several thousands of sales) it's happened to me only about a half dozen times. I'd say it is very unlikely you will have a problem. 

Hey @Rad123! If a buyer is to report that their tickets were invalid, we have procedures that we follow to prove that they were rejected at the venue so we will never charge a penalty to the seller without obtaining this kind of proof first. A buyer wouldn't be able to attend an event and get their money back as well as we would see that the tickets were valid and used. You should have no fear regarding this because we will always make sure that both the seller and buyer is 100% protected with every sale. If you have any further questions, you can feel free to private message me or any of our other Community Moderators and we'll be happy to help!

Team Mascot

Hi AllyD,

I have been selling tickets for more than a year and never had issues like invalid tickets. Today I got an email that the buyer has provided a proof from the venue that the tickets were invalid. Let's say I contact the venue and obtain the proof that the tickets were valid and they were scanned. Why wouldn't I get paid fully? What if he sold it to another person and simply earns double? How can I prove that he was the sole user of that ticket? Because the email says that if I provide the proof from the venue, only the administration charge will be reverted. 

And why on earth would someone with a clean record try to sell 2 invalid tickets to put his/her account in danger?

Hi @Hattrick55, I'm happy to help you. I'll send you a PM to get your account details.